- Board certified in General Surgery, Surgical Oncology and Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic Surgery
- Currently Chief of Surgical Oncology at ChristianaCare in Delaware and has held numerous leadership positions including President of Hospital Medical-Dental Staff, Board of Directors Hospital System, President Delaware Chapter American College of Surgeons, and President Delaware Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Recognized yearly as Top Doctor for Surgical Oncology, and previously America’s Top Surgeons, Best Doctors in America, Cambridge Who’s Who in Surgery, and Professional of the Year in Surgical Oncology and Top Doctors for Global Directory of Who’s Who
Dr. Bennett attended Colgate University and graduated as a chemistry major with honors. He then attended the State University of New York at Brooklyn (Downstate Medical Center) for medical school, graduating summa cum laude. Dr. Bennett then went to the University of Chicago for his General Surgery residency. He also spent several years at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, first as an oncology research fellow where he conducted viral based gene therapy research to treat advanced cancers, and then as a clinical fellow in Surgical Oncology and Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic surgery. He is currently Board Certified in General Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Fellow of the Society of Surgical Oncology, and member of the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association.
Dr. Bennett was recruited in 2005 to the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center, ChristianaCare, Delaware, to help build the Cancer Program. He is currently Director of the Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Multidisciplinary Clinic, Director of the Melanoma/Sarcoma Multidisciplinary Clinic, and Chief of Surgical Oncology. Dr. Bennett also is part of the General Surgery Residency Teaching faculty, is adjunct faculty at the Wistar Research Institute in Philadelphia, director for biomedical engineering clinical immersion course with University of Delaware, and actively engaged in clinical research. He has numerous publications in the field of surgical oncology and has presented at numerous national conferences. Dr. Bennett has also been involved in medical device innovation and developed a novel, modular vessel sealer with his biomedical engineering colleagues.
Dr. Bennett is the recipient of numerous awards both locally and nationally. He is also recognized as a healthcare leader not only functioning as current Chief of Surgical Oncology but having served on the Board of the Hospital System, and as President of Hospital Medical-Dental Staff.
- Bachelors: Colgate University
- MD: SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Internship/Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals
- Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center