Dr Hein-Peters is a global expert in getting access to new treatments and vaccines through connecting healthcare decision makers, doctors and patients and supporting their decisions by scientific evidence. She has held several leadership positions in companies where she worked, usually with colleagues around the world. Her deep belief is that innovation in healthcare only matters if patients have access to it, as the medication doesn’t work if barriers exist preventing its prescribing or administration. She is a Doctorpedia Founding Medical Partner and the Chief Medical Officer of the upcoming Vaccines Channel.
Dr. Hein-Peters graduated from the Medical University in Wroclaw, Poland, where she also completed her residency in clinical psychiatry in the Psychiatric Teaching Hospital. She specialized in general psychiatry and was a part time consultant for patients suffering from mental disorders related to AIDS.
After the residency, Dr. Hein-Peters joined the pharmaceutical industry to focus on introducing innovative treatments, with the goal of improving patient symptoms and eliminating diseases. She worked in several therapy areas, such as:
- Psychiatry, to improve diagnosis of anxiety and depression through medical education and introducing novel, safer therapies.
- Ophthalmology, to reduce the incidence of glaucoma-related blindness through proper treatment and screening.
- Infectious diseases, mostly severe and hospital-acquired infections caused by resistant bacteria and fungi in immunocompromised patients.
- Vaccines, to prevent wide-spread or serious infectious diseases (e.g., cervical cancer caused by human papilloma virus, meningitis, dengue hemorrhagic fever, diphtheria, polio, hepatitis, tetanus, pertussis and recently COVID-19).
- Oncology, to improve outcomes of women suffering from treatment refractory breast cancer and support development of novel immunotherapies.
- MD: Medical University of Wroclaw, Poland
- Residency: Psychiatric Teaching Hospital, Wroclaw, Poland
- Certification, the Board of Directors Program: Henley Business School
- Executive Coaching Program: Columbia University Teachers College