- Quadruple board certified in internal medicine, cardiology, nuclear cardiology, and interventional cardiology
- Served as the Chief of Medicine Department and Chief of Endovacular Medicine at Sharp Grossmont Hospital and he is currently the chief of Cardiovascular Medicine at SGH
- Recognized among San Diego’s Top Interventional Cardiologists by San Diego Magazine and Castle Connolly several times
Dr. Azimi received a scholarship to Columbia College of Columbia University where he completed his B.A. in Chemistry and pre-medicine. From there, he attended Dartmouth Medical School and completed his residency at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He finished his fellowships in Cardiovascular Medicine, then nuclear cardiology and cardiac and peripheral interventions at the prestigious Yale University.
Dr. Azimi has been in private practice in San Diego, CA for 15 years, establishing a thriving clinical practice for cardiac patients and treating patients for peripheral vascular disease. He is active in Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Interventions, and he does structural heart interventions, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), transeptal procedures such as the Watchman left trail appendage closures. Dr. Azimi has served as the Chief of Medicine Department and Chief of Endovacular Medicine at Sharp Grossmont Hospital and he is currently the chief of Cardiovascular Medicine at SGH.
He is a national expert in anti-platelets and anticoagulants and has been a national speaker on anti platelets anticoagulants, intravenous iron treatments and diabetic treatments. He has been an investigator in multiple clinical research studies for various cardiac and peripheral disease indications, and Dr. Azimi is a Fellow of The American College of Cardiology and serves on the board of governors of the California chapter of the ACC. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology and a Fellow of the Society of Coronary Angiography and Interventions.
Dr. Azimi is the recipient of numerous awards. From being a Castle Connolly top Interventional Cardiologist in San Diego 2012-2020 and has been voted by his peers six times as San Diego’s Top Interventional Cardiologist as published in San Diego Magazine from 2013 to 2019. He is also been awarded the designation of a National ST elevations MI Champion for his outstanding heart attack care.
- MD: Dartmouth Medical School
- Internship: University of Colorado
- Residency: University of Colorado
- Fellowship: Yale University