- Triple board certified in neurology, sleep medicine, and integrative medicine.
- Serves as Vice-President of Illinois State Neurological Society; Member of American Academy of Neurology and participates in Palatucci Advocacy Leadership
- Educates on sleep, wellness, prevention, patient empowerment, and self- care and ultimately wants to close the gap in healthcare disparities
Dr. Smita Patel is an Integrative Neurologist and sleep medicine physician, a physician leader and entrepreneur. She graduated from Midwestern University/Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2001. She went on to complete her neurological training at the Medical College of Wisconsin (2005) and sleep medicine training at the University of Chicago (2006). Additionally, she completed a two-year fellowship in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona, under Dr. Andrew Weil (2011). With over 19 years of experience working in hospitals and across the healthcare industry, Dr. Patel is also involved as Vice President of the Illinois State Neurological Society, a non-profit organization which aims to advocate on behalf of patients for access to neurological care and promoting continuing education of neurologists and the public of Illinois. She brings her expertise in neurology and sleep medicine along with a proficiency in complementary and integrative medicine to develop tailored health plans for her patients.
Dr. Patel has participated in clinical research studies in the area of sleep medicine and has written book chapters for several academic publications on neurological disorders. She has a strong interest in researching the cause and treatment of neurological diseases as well as supporting and participating in educational programs. Dr. Patel is the Director of Center for Brain Health at Northshore University Health System and is now Founder of iNeuro Institute. With iNeuro Institute, she wants to shift the current paradigm towards wellness, prevention, patient empowerment, and self- care and ultimately close the gap in healthcare disparities. She regularly lectures to the community on Integrative Neurology and Sleep- namely the effects of nutrition, meditation, yoga, exercise, sleep, acupuncture, and evidence based supplements on the health of the nervous system.
- DO: Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Internship/Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin, Neurology
- Fellowship: University of Chicago, Sleep Medicine
- Fellowship: University of Arizona, Integrative Medicine